The ABW program for tertiary level students allows students to operate a virtual business, make decisions and mistakes, compete against their peers, and learn a range of skills that will serve them well in their chosen career. It’s suitable for students across a range of disciplines, whether they intend to establish a business, or simply to work in one. It’s also an excellent opportunity for students to apply the skills they are learning during tertiary study to a practical business situation and build confidence.
Participants form teams of 4-10 and assume important roles in general management, operations, marketing or finance to run a virtual company. They’ll make important business decisions as they compete against other participating teams.
A minimum of 40 students is suggested however, when 60 or more participate, it generates a larger number of companies and increases competitive spirit.
- Step into a role in general management, operations, marketing or finance
- Compete against other teams
- Make environmental decisions
- Complete case studies
- Write a company report
- Create a product, process or service
- Give an oral presentation
- Produce a video commercial and/or web page
- Mount a trade display
Skills & learning
- Business concepts – supply and demand, profit and loss
- Work as part of a co-operative team
- Problem solving
- Apply mathematical ideas to real life situations
- Learn about the monetary system
- Improve communication skills
- Explore future career interests
- Prepare for adult life in the community